Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Bush in Europe

I listened to two very wise talking heads at noon. One of Kerry's campaign advisors seemed to be saying that we had to kowtow to the Europeans. Frankly, I could care less what the leaders of France and Germany think about the US. I expect leaders of any country to do what they believe to be best for the national interest of their country. I demand that my elected leaders do that for the US. If our beliefs in what is in the national interest of each country are different, so be it. I don't have to like the French, Germans or any other in old Europe and they don't have to like us. The more I read and the more I look at France, the more I respect Eisenhower. If I had to put up with DeGaulle during WWII, I probably would have locked him up in a very dark place. Instead, Ike did an amazing balancing act and kept even their best general, LeClerque, working as part of the team. Hat's off to him. Haven't seen much from the French that convinces me that we shouldn't have let the Germans retain France.

No comments: