Friday, February 25, 2005

A Consensus of Scientists Believe....

We are now in the age of science by consensus. Do they have meetings and vote on facts, theories and laws of nature? Do they lobby and politic at these conventions?

When I hear "consensus of scientists" I am reminded that a consensus of scientists believed:
a. The sun revolved around the earth
b. The earth was flat
c. In phlogiston (still study it at the University of Netherwallop).
d. Diseases were caused by bad vapors (almost right, but the consensus denied germs).
e. About 1900 the consensus was that all that was knowable was known and, in the future, we could only make slight refinements on this knowledge.

I'm looking for the announcement of the next consensus convention. Maybe I can support candidates for my favorite beliefs. It's certainly easier than going into the lab and doing experiments that can be peer-reviewed.

No comments: