Wednesday, February 23, 2005

State of Fear

Crichton's "State of Fear" is an excellent read. The problem is that I found myself correcting minor errors in his discussions of global warming.

Are we in the midst of global warming. You betcha. I lived on a sandbar surrounded by deep holes left by retreating glaciers. The sandbar and one of the holes are fondly called "Michigan" by its inhabitants. I'll be a bit more convinced by the proponents of anthropogenic global warming when the computer models predict accurately the climate in the 20th century.

For those who heard all the horror stories of the great European warm period of the past couple of years and heard all the terrible tales of thousands dying from the heat and the great floods, it wasn't as hot in France as it was in the Carolina's and Georgia, not to mention the Southwest.

Years ago, when I was in Wertheim, Germany, I noticed marks on buildings that had a year and the words "Hoch Wasser." All the high water marks from the 1500's were higher than the flooding they experienced as a result of global warming. Wonder if more houses, parking lots, and more paved roads have anything to do with increasing the water run-off?