Monday, August 15, 2005

Help BP out of the Oil Business

BP, which I thought stood for British Petroleum and, according to the adds is "Beyond Petroleum," is recycling some of the silliest adds ever. BP is trying to impress us with just how environmentally friendly it is with a group of adds that seem to indicate that the company is embarrassed about being in the oil business. Look at all the mousy, enviro-looking actors acting like oil products are just terrible. All the ads end with just all the wonderful things they are doing for the environment.

If BP is embarrassed with the business they are in, I decided to help them out as much as possible. I do not go to BP stations and buy gas. Since BP won't help themselves out of their embarrassment by selling their petroleum business to someone who wants to be in that business, I think we should go along with them and not support them financially. Maybe they could make it just as well with wind turbines.

Yeah, I know that BP is really "Big Oil." I know that the products of their refineries go into a pipeline or other bulk transport for sale to whoever buys it. Yeah, I know that if BP closed all their gas stations, they would continue to refine and market petroleum products. That's what makes the ads so silly. If there was an award for stupid ads, BP's would get special recognition.

No comments: