Saturday, May 28, 2005

Pat Mitchell: Public broadcasting is fair and balanced

I listened to Pat Mitchell's speech at the National Press club this afernoon on WCVE. I was absolutely astonded when Ms. Mitchell said that public broadcasting was fair and balanced and then cited polls showing the public also thought so. I checked the PBS website and did not find the polls or mention of the polls.

If Ms. Mitchell believes that PBS is "fair and balanced, actually, not a slogan" then Ms. Mitchell is either absolutely unaware of what is being broadcast or is so far to the left that she couldn't recognize how far to the left she actually is.

I've been a long and dedicated listener/viewer of public broadcasting. I still listen/watch, but have been more selective with the programming. My distrust of PBS started with Moyer's "Trade Secrets" which contained numerous factual errors and the standard long, lingering pictures of water vapor from steam traps of cooling towers each time they talked about air pollution. When I questioned Moyers about this, his email response was that he was aware of the errors but just wanted to make a point. I then looked critically at the "news/current events programming." A short time later, I stopped getting my news from PBS. They may have changed, I just don't watch them.

On NPR every Saturday morining. Not only do the hosts gush over Mr. Schorr, but they never challenge hsi comments when his palbable dislike for anything Republican or Bush comes thrugh. On other programming we are incessantly beaten about the heads and shoulders on how wonder it is to e gay.

Perhaps Ms. Mitchell should actually view her programs critically. If she can't see bias, then there is no hope for her. The other programming is great, but until I see neutral or balance the Libs with a conservative, then not a dime to support them.

No comments: