Tuesday, March 01, 2005

But They are Just Kids

I'm generally opposed to capital punishment because I'm not sure that it has much deterrent value and it costs several times more to try the case, manage the appeals and do the execution. Not that some of the under-18's who commit heinous crimes don't need killing, but I don't believe that it is a good way to spend my tax dollars. Lock the up in a terrible place and don't let them out.

It is, howeve, outrageous, that some members of the Supreme Court decided in today's decision not to look at US law, but to look at laws from other countries and unsigned treaties to decide what is legal in the US. I need to go back to basic civics and see when they changed the constitution such that it said that we are bound by laws of other countries when members of the court need something to support their particular beliefs. If the Supreme Court, and other courts decide that it is their duty to write laws, then we need to save the expense of the other two branches and start electing, not appointing all judges. I believe that, today, the court has done quite a disservice to the country, our legal system and the constitution.

No comments: