Wednesday, March 02, 2005

The Supremes

The more I hear and read about the Supreme Court decision on banning capital punishment of minors, the more amazed I am. The defendant, Simmons, and a partner committed buglary and were observed. They tied, hooded and threw the woman off a bridge to drown because "the bitch saw my face." The deciding members of the court spent quite a bit of time citing other countries law and used "international opinion" in the arguments. I checked the Constitution and it doesn't mention the laws of England, France or any other place as superceding US law. Of course, if I were an attorney, I could understand that the words I read really don't mean that. If capital punishment is abhorrent, then vote in state lawmakers to get rid of the law. It is not the place of any court to decide to establish laws in lieu of decisions by legislatures. Five members of the Supreme Court should be deeply ashamed of abusing the trust placed in them.

No comments: